Monday, September 13, 2010

Kate: Punished for Arrogance

We have started our fourth round of skating classes. I've been practicing three-turns like mad, ready to show off my skills to our teacher, Miss Jen. At the same I was also trying mohawks, which are two foot turns on the same edge that continues along the same lobe, but I need a lot more help with those. I did finally master three-turns on both feet, but mohawks remained elusive. I not only managed to complete the turn, I even held the backwards edge!

This very exciting for two reasons - 1) I have detailed why I have trouble with backwards edges on this blog, so actually holding one was awesome and 2) I broke my left foot in May of '09 and to this day I have problems with pain. Getting ol' Lefty to do something correctly was awesome!

So. We get to class. We had a new teacher who we had met once before, when she subbed in our class months ago. This was a bummer because she doesn't really know us or how far we had come, but she's really nice and a good teacher, so whatever. THEN. My three turns ended up being heinous. Awful. THE WORST. I could not freaking get them. Everything else I tried, I blew at, including spins as well. So sad!

And THEN. In the last minute of class I decided "Fuck it. I'm gonna do a mohawk." You know, the element I can't quite seem to get the hang of? Ever. I did the turn, I went straight down onto the ice onto my left hip. Did I mention the eight year olds shooting around us clamoring for their class? They were right there to see my collapse. Luckily, it wasn't even a quarter as bad as my nasty fall a few weeks ago. It was just embarrassing.

So! I got cranky, and then I got cocky, and I was punished for arrogance. The end, a story by Kate.

2 comments:

  1. Oh hubris. Though the gods showing you what for in front of eight year olds is particularly cruel even for them.

    But yay! three turns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been over 7 years...so I was thnking about forming another punk band. Thought about calling it "the arrogance of kate" so I googled to make sure nobody else is as random as me. Found this website...read your line, "In the last minute of class I decided Fuck it. I'm gonna do a mohawk."...thought you were talking about your hair...thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete