Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Candice: I'd rather be skating...

Okay! So that part where I thought I'd managed to get up and shake off the worst of the car accident! Nope. The following week I discovered my sweet little Suzuki was going to that big dealership in the sky, I committed to my first major purchase in adulthood, then quite quickly went to Denver for a brief vacation and came home to hit the ground running when it comes to my social life.

In other words, clearly I am made of fail for not squeezing blood from the turnip and finding a moment to post. But please, dear four readers, don't assume that at any point in the past two weeks I spent more than an hour not thinking about skating. Because, wow, I totally was. The nice thing about an insane hobby is it affords a lot of different types of escape.

Need to feel motivated? Think about how you've mastered only about a sixth of the basic footwork defined by the US Figure Skating Federation.

Need to feel soothed? Watch Stephane Lambiel's Ne Me Quitte Pas or Johnny Weir's Feelin' Good and be gently lifted away by art.

Need to feel invigorated? Get on the ice for half hour and let the cold bite your face while you find out you're better at something this time than you were before.

Need to laugh? My God, people, it's figure skating. It's pretty much guaranteed to make you laugh. The costumes ALONE are worth their own post.

Want drama? People. Skating has drama. Remember Tonya Harding? Or Surya Bonaly weeping openly at the 1994 World Championships and refusing to wear the Silver Medal? Or what about the PTSD inducing crash had by Jessica Dube and Bryce Davidson?

Feeling like indulging in a little schadenfreude? Watch Brian Joubert meltdown in his 2010 Olympic Short Program and then turn the Kiss and Cry section where he awaited his score into the Frown and Swear.

Need to cry? Read about the tragic love story of Sergei Grinkov and Ekaterina Gordeeva. Or watch Joannie Rochette's tribute to her mother who died DURING the Olympics.

Anyway, point is, there's a figure skating for every mood. I'm pretty sure that aerial skiing can't claim that.

No comments:

Post a Comment